Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why I Own a Smartwatch Rant


Finally, I'm getting around to publishing a rant (this has been waiting in my drafts to be looked over again) and what better subject than smartwatches. Just before millions of people buy the Apple Watch for all the wrong reasons and the complaining ensues, I want to tell you why I own one and continue to wear it everyday.
Truth be told, I did not buy my smartwatch, my girlfriend got it for me for my birthday/Christmas (very close together). However, I had my sights set on the Moto 360 since the day it came out. You can check out my full review of the Moto 360 for more details.
Moto 360 Smartwatch black with black leather band
Moto 360

So why did I want it so badly? 

I am an early adopter of sorts, wearables are just getting started and I want to see them flourish. The reason I wanted one though was for the convenience of having everything on my wrist. I also don't own watches and the only ones I bought in the past were purchased from some sketchy guy in NYC. So I wanted a watch but I also wanted to have the ability to leverage my phone and my watch better.

Let me explain:
By having a smartwatch I can have a password on my phone but never type it in beca
use the phone sees my watch. I usually don't have a lock code because I think they're inconvenient and you end up telling people anyway. With the smartwatch I have the convenience of not having a passcode when my phone is with me and having it locked when I'm away from it. Pretty cool, right?
I can respond to text messages quickly with my voice or used the canned responses. I can also just look at my wrist and see if the notification I got is worth retrieving my phone for.
This is where most people tell me I'm just lazy and wasted money because I don't like the inconvenience of taking my phone out only to see that my friend posted something on Facebook.
And yes from the perspective of somebody who doesn't perceive the value of the watch that is a reasonable response. But let me ask you this, does your $250 watch from wherever do what mine does? No.
LG G Watch Urbane Luxury Smartwatch
LG G Watch Urbane
Then they say, "but a regular watch looks nicer," again you are correct, but that's not why I got it. I got it because it does all those cool things with my phone. I got it because I wanted a watch with functions, not a fashion statement. You don't buy a smartwatch for what it looks like or for how good of a timekeeper it is. You buy it because it's a cool gadget.
The classic response I get as well is, "I don't understand, if it doesn't do anything your phone can't, or really do anything without your phone, what's the point?"
My reply is usually, "What does a $2,000 Rolex do that this watch and my phone can't do?" Nothing! I can get the time on my watch and I betcha in room full of people I will get more people to ask me about my smartwatch than an expensive Rolex, and you can bet the conversations will be longer too as I'll explain the cool stuff it does. That Rolex will look a million times better without a doubt but to me that isn't important.
To wrap up this rant I want to summarize. People see a new piece of technology these days and expect it to blow their minds. They want it to do something new, it's a sign of the times. We don't see a smartwatch as a big deal but tell someone in the 90's about your smartwatch and they'd be blown away. Apple knows that people think that way and that's why they packed so much stuff into the watch. Viewing your photo album on a watch is impractical but Apple is making it happen. If Steve Jobs was alive he'd go on a rampage, personally I think Steve Jobs would like Android Wear more.
And I'm going to stop there. I will post it rant theory in a future post so subscribe to updates so you can read about that. As always please leave a comment and +1 this.

No comments:

Post a Comment