Sunday, May 10, 2015

K2 Gaming Rig

K2 is located in the Karakoram Range within the Himalayan Mountains  and is the second tallest mountain in the world next to Mount Everest. I name all of my computers after mountains as a fun naming scheme. Karakoram is also the SSID for my 5Ghz band and Himalaya for the 2,4Ghz band (wider range). I picked K2 because while the computer is extremely powerful, I know I'll be building an even better one some day and I want to keep Everest for that one. I spent a long time doing research and waiting for a good deal on parts and ended up building the machine for only $1,200. It is worth noting that this computer will crush anything Apple sells for the same price. Without further ado, here is the parts list.



ComponentSelectionPrice
CPUIntel Core i7 4770K Quad-Core CPU 3.5 GHz Turbo Boost $130.00
CPU CoolerCorsair H100i 240mm Water Cooler for CPUs $100.00
MotherboardASRock Fata1ity Professional for 4th Generation Core i-series processors $163.99
MemoryMushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $89.99
StorageSeagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $84.99
Video CardAsus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card $499.99
CaseThermaltake Level 10 GTS Snow Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99
Power SupplyThermaltake Tough Power 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply$69.99
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)
$0.00
Total (Purchased):$1208.94
Every part on this list has worked flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with this computer. I have seven fans inside the computer keeping the parts nice and cool. I've managed to safely overclock the CPU to 4.6GHz. I have not overclocked the video card because I haven't needed to. It is able to run every game I own on full graphics settings. My next upgrade is going to be a solid state drive and possibly more memory but 8GB has proved to be more than enough for gaming and I don't use my VM's enough to justify the cost of more memory. Overall the system stays very cool and extremely quiet. I will do short individual reviews of each part in different posts and link them here.

I did build this entire computer by myself and picked out the parts on my own as well. If anybody has questions about building their own computer whether its a small cheap one or a gaming rig feel free to leave a comment with your questions. I will be cleaning it within the next couple of days and will be posting pics of the components and the build.

No comments:

Post a Comment